Prof. Dr. med. dent. habil. MS Christian Stappert
Zürich Hauptbahnhof / ShopVille:
Dental Competences and Specializiation
- Aesthetic Dentistry
- Reconstrucitve Dentistry
Professional Training, Academic Employment and Certification:
- 1987-1993: Dental Studies (DDS), Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany – Graduation 1993; State Dental Licensing Boards, Germany
- 1994: Clinical traineeship at Oral Surgery and Periodontics, Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Periodontology, Tygerberg, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- 1996: Doctorate (Dr. med. dent.), Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany. Doctoral thesis: ‘Oral hygiene and marginal periodontium of patients treated with resin bonded restorations – Clinical evaluation of resin bonded bridges under periodontal examination’
- 1996: Assistant Professor and research associate, Department of Prosthodontics (Prof. Dr. Dr. H. Spiekermann), University RWTH Aachen, Germany
- 1997: Assistant Professor at the Department of Prosthodontics (Prof. Dr. J.R. Strub), Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
- 1997-2000: Postgraduate Program of Prosthodontics, Department of Prosthodontics (Prof. Dr. J.R. Strub), Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany (after 3-years Board submission), Treatment focus: ceramic restorations and periodontal-prosthodontics
- 2001: Board-certified ‘Specialist of Prosthodontics’, German Society of Prosthodontics and Dental Materials (DGPro), Germany
- 2001: Associate Professor (Senior lecturer) at the Department of Prosthodontics, Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
- 2001-2004: Director of postgraduate education Prosthodontics, Department of Prosthodontics, Chair Prof. Dr. J.R. Strub, Albert-Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
- 2002-2003: Certified Specialist of Implantology, German Society of Implantology (DGI) & EAO, Germany and 2003 Certified ‘Lecturer of Implant Dentistry and Implantology’, focus Implant Prosthodontics, German Consensus Conference, Germany
- 2004: Certified Specialist of Esthetic Dentistry, German Society of Esthetic Dentistry, Germany
- 2004: Visiting Research Professor, scholarship, Department of Biomaterials & Biomimetics (Prof. Dr. V. Thompson/ Prof. D. Rekow), NYUCD, New York, NY,USA
- 2004-2006: Integrated Master of Science Studies ‘Biomaterials and Biomimetics’, Graduate School of Arts and Science, New York University, New York; advanced postgraduate training in Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry (Prof. Dr. D. Tarnow), New York University College of Dentistry, NY, NY, USA
- 2006: M.S., Master of Science ‘Biomaterials and Biomimetics’, Graduate School of Arts and Science, New York University, New York (US), Master thesis: ‘Failure modes and fatigue reliability of two glass ceramics tested in a bi-layer model.’ New York: NY University Graduate School of Arts and Science; 2006:1-122.
- 2006: Appointment tenure-track Assistant Professor, New York University College of Dentistry, NY, NY, USA
- Seit 2007: Appointed Faculty of New York University College of Dentistry, NY, NY, USA
- 2007-2012: Director of Aesthetics and Periodontal Prosthodontics, Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry (Prof. Dr. D. Tarnow), and associated Principal investigator at the Department of Biomaterials & Biomimetics (Prof. Dr. V. Thompson/ Prof. D. Rekow), NYU College of Dentistry, New York, NY, USA
- 2008: Habilitation, ‘Venia legendi’ and Privatdozent, Prosthodontics, Albert-Ludwig’s University Freiburg, Germany
- Since 2008: ‘Privatdozent’, Department of Prosthodontics, Albert-Ludwigs University Freiburg, Germany
- 2012: Appointed ‘Extraordinary Professor’ (APL Professor) of the Albert-Ludwigs University Freiburg, Germany
- 2012: Appointed ‘Professor and Director’ of Implant Periodontal Prosthodontics, Department of Periodontics, University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Baltimore, USA
- 2012-2015: Professor and Director, postgraduate program of ‘Periodontal Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry’, Department of Periodontics, University of Maryland, School of Dentistry, and 2015 also affiliated Director of ‘Advanced General Dentistry’ (Prof. Dr. D. Barnes), University of Maryland, School of Dentistry
- Since 2012: Extraordinary Professor of the Albert-Ludwigs University Freiburg, Germany
- Since 2015: Cooperation with New York University, New York, NY, USA and the University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA
- Since 2015: Executive Medical Director, CMO & CTO, Swiss Smile Holding AG, Zurich, Switzerland<br/>Private Practice, Bahnhofstrasse, Zurich, Switzerland
Research & Education:
Dr. Stappert’s scholarly activities are a combination of laboratory/translational and clinical research, with an emphasis on reliability of dental materials, clinical ceramic restorations and biologic implant considerations. Much of his work is strongly collaborative, based initially on his academic investigations (Prof. Dr. J. Strub) at the Albert-Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Germany. The opportunity to participate as a young investigator on a 5-year multi-center National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant at NYU (New York University, NIST, Princeton, University of Maryland, Sydney University), granted to Prof. Dr. E. Dianne Rekow and Prof. Dr. Van Thompson, to investigate the failure mechanisms of all-ceramic structures and fatigue behavior of all-ceramic restorations, and the team approach to investigate tissue management and the perio-implant interface at the Department of Implant Dentistry (Prof. Dr. D. Tarnow) had a strong impact on his academic career.
Dr. Stappert has published over 90 scientific papers, book chapters and peer reviewed publications. He gave more than 300 national and international lectures at dental conferences, study clubs and academic meetings. He is editorial board member and reviewer of numerous scientific dental journals, and active member inter alia at the AO, AAED as well as GNYAP, and past president and current treasurer of the IADR Prosthodontics Research Group. Most current, co-author of Dr. Ronald Goldstein, Dr. Ernesto Lee and Dr. Stephen Chu for the new edition of the book ‘Goldstein’s Esthetics in Dentistry’ 2018.
- Swiss Dental Association (SSO)
- German Society of Dentistry and Oral Medicine (DGMKG)
- German Society of Prosthodontics and Dental Materials (DG Pro)
- European Association of Dental Implantology (DGI)
- German Association of Esthetic Dentistry (DGÄZ)
- International Association of Dental Research (IADR)
- Academy of Osseointegration (AO)
- Greater New York Academy of Prosthodontics (GNYAP)
- American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry (AAED)
- German Association of Periodontology (DG Paro)
- Society of Color and Appearance in Dentistry (SCAD)
- Academy of Microscope Enhanced Dentistry (AMED)
- Fickl S, Kauffmann F, Stappert CF, Kauffmann A, Schlagenhauf U. ‘Scar Tissue Formation Following Alveolar Ridge Preservation: A Case Control Study. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2018;38(1):e1-e7.
- Guess PC, Selz CF, Voulgarakis A, Stampf S, Stappert CF. ‘Prospective clinical study of press-ceramic overlap and full veneer restorations: 7-year results.’ Int J Prosthodont. 2014;27(4):355-8.
- Tarnow DP, Chu SJ, Salama MA, Stappert CF, et al. ‘Flapless Postextraction Socket Implant Placement in the Esthetic Zone: Part 1. The Effect of Bone Grafting and/or Provisional Restoration on Facial-Palatal Ridge Dimensional Change-A Retrospective Cohort Study.’ Int J Perio Rest Dent. 2014, 34(3):323-31.
- Fickl S, Fischer KR, Jockel-Schneider Y, Stappert CF, Schlagenhauf U, Kebschull M. ‘Early wound healing and patient morbidity after single-incision vs. trap-door graft harvesting from the palate-a clinical study.’ Clin Oral Investig. 2014;18(9):2213-9.
- Agnini A, Salama MA, Agnini AM, Salama H, Stappert CF, Romeo D. ‘RevitaliZe Patient Solutions: preliminary results from a single cohort prospective study using Screw-Vent TSVT implants’. Quintessence. 2014;30(1):5-12.
- Kimmich M, Stappert CF. ‘Intraoral treatment of veneering porcelain chipping of fixed dental restorations – Review and clinical application’. J Am Dent Assoc, 2013;144(1):31-44.
- Agliardi EL, Pozzi A, Stappert CF, Benzi R, Romeo D. ‘Immediate fixed rehabilitation of the edentulous maxilla: a prospective clinical and radiological study after 3-years of loading’. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2014;16(2):292-302.
- Agnini A, Agnini AM, Romeo D, Chiesi M, Pariente L, Stappert CF.‘Clinical Investigation on axial versus tilted implants for immediate fixed rehabilitation of edentulous arches: Preliminary results of a single cohort study.’ Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2014;16(4):527-39.
- Ciurana X, Vela X, Calvo CJ, Nart J, Stappert CF. ‘Effect of platform switching on collagen fiber orientation around dental implants. A histological animal study.’ Int J Oral Max Impl, 2012;27(5):1116-22.
- Baldassarri M, Stappert CF, Wolff MS, Thompson VP, Zhang Y. Residual stresses in porcelain-veneered zirconia prostheses. Dent Mater, 2012 Aug;28(8):873-9.
- Stappert CF, Baldassarri M, Zhang Y, Stappert D, Thompson VT. Contact fatigue response of porcelain-veneered alumina model systems. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 2012;2(100B):508-515.
- Stappert CF, Baldassarri M, Zhang Y, Haenssler F, Rekow E, Thompson VT. `Fatigue failure modes and reliability of implant-supported aluminium-oxide fixed dental prostheses`. Clin Oral Impl Res, 2012;23(10):1173-80.
- Baldassarri M, Zhang Y, Thompson VT, Rekow ED, Stappert CF. ‘Reliability and failure modes of implant-supported zirconium-oxide fixed dental prostheses related to veneering techniques.’, J Dent, 2011; 39(7):489-98.
- Baldassarri M, Hjerppe J, Romeo D, Fickl S, Thompson VT, Stappert CF. ‘Marginal Accuracy of three Implant Ceramic Abutment Configurations’, Int J Oral Max Impl, 2012;27(3):537-43.
- Stappert CF, Tarnow DP, Tan JH, Chu SJ. ‘Proximal contact areas of the maxillary anterior dentition’, Int J Perio Rest Dent. 2010; 10: 471-7.
- Mitsias ME, Pines, MS, Silva N, Stappert CF, Thompson, VP, `Reliability and Fatigue Damage Modes of Zirconia and Titanium Abutments`. Int J Prosthodont. 2010; 23:56-59.
Publication link: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
- President of the IADR Prosthodontics Research Group (2016 - 2017).
- Secretary and Treasurer of the IADR Prosthodontics and Implant Research Group (2013-2018).
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the IADR Frechette Research Award (2015-2018).
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the GNYAP Research Award (2015-2017).
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the AAED Research Award (2014-2017).
- Director of the IADR Prosthodontics Research Group (2010-2013).
- Director and Scientific Chair of the 10th Aesthetic Symposium at NYUCD. May 5th 2012.
- Director and Scientific Chair of the 9th Aesthetic Symposium at NYUCD. March 19th 2011.
- Director of the 3rd Annual Implant Continuum. NYU College of Dentistry. 2011-2012.
- Director of the 2nd Annual Implant Continuum. NYU College of Dentistry. 2010-2011.
- Member of the ‘Accreditation Council Standard III’ at NYU College of Dentistry (New York University, 2008-2009)
- Member of the ‘Council of Ethics and Professionalism’ at NYU College of Dentistry (New York University, 2007-2009).
Language: German, Englisch, French